Ben Deckard–Sundance: Make Your Own Experience

Ben Deckard and Elijah Wood at the Premier of Cooties
Ben Deckard and Elijah Wood at the premier of Cooties.

When planning for this trip, I was more stressed than excited. Never having flown before or been to a film festival, let alone one as famous as this one, I was worried about everything.  But after the first couple days I got used to the new environment.  I started seeing films that were incredibly interesting and inspiring, and feeling a freedom to make my own experience.

Trolley on Main Street in Park City, Utah.

Every trip I’ve ever taken has been mainly mandated by the people that I was traveling with, but with this study away course, the instructors let me know that they were there if I needed them, but that I could make my own memory of this experience at a place where I felt really privileged to be.

Professors Hovet and Hall made it clear that they were interested in how I was doing, whether it had been checking up on me if I was sick, or asking me what I was seeing and my opinion was of the festival and the films. I really appreciated this freedom and enjoyed being responsible for myself and being able to do what I thought would make for a good memory of a fantastic festival.  I really thank my professors for that opportunity.

Class photo at the Yarrow Hotel Theatre, where WKU students lodged.

I saw a lot of films over the course of our ten day stay in Park City.  I was pleasantly surprised that every film I set out to watch I not only got into, but I thoroughly enjoyed seeing. After every screening someone associated with the film, whether it be actors, directors, or producers would have a question and answer portion where I got to hear some really interesting and inspiring ideals behind the making of a film such as what it’s like for these people to be a part of Sundance. I got a lot out of this experience and I appreciate every moment.  All the memories I made really solidified my choice of a film major and made me enthusiastic about learning more about this art form that I grew up loving and will continue loving for the rest of my life.